In September and October Our learning is based around the topic ‘Paddington’s Passport.’ You may notice your child will be chatting about Paddington, Peru or London and these will come into all areas of the curriculum.
Please chat to your child about what they are learning in school and encourage them to explore the topics further.
These are the key learning activities in September and October.
- Full Stops and capital Letters
- Writing in sentences
- We will be talking about authors, illustrators, fiction and non-fiction.
- We are encouraging the children to write independently. Please encourage the children at home to write a few sentences. We praise the children for having a try at more difficult words rather than correcting every mistake. This builds their confidence in writing.
- Reading: The children still love to hear a story, please encourage reading for enjoyment by reading with your child. Ten minutes a day can make a huge difference.
We will be reading ‘A Bear called Paddington’ by Michael Bond. Our activities will include
- A letter from Paddington
- A character description
- Questions we would ask
- An invite for Paddington to come to my house
- Writing my address
- Book review
- We will revise number facts within 10
- Become more confident with number facts up to 20 (Sept/Oct)
- Know number after, before and between, odd and even numbers
- sequencing numbers
- mental addition and subtraction
- Money: counting amounts, finding the change etc
- 2d and 3d shapes
- Time ( o’clock, half past, quarter past)
World Around Us
- Where we live: Craigavon
- Where Paddington came from (Peru)
- A journey around Peru (climate, Andes Mts, animals)
- Finding out about Spectacled Bears / Lamas
- Rainforest animals
- What is a passport?
- Follow Paddingtons journey from Peru to London
- 4 countries and capitals of the UK
- Follow a map around London to find the sights
- Use simple compass directions
- Bread in our diet:
- How do we eat bread?
- Mould on bread: why?
- Explore dates on foods
We look forward to an enjoyable autumn term.